Law students and prospective law students with connections to the Eastern District of Texas who are enrolled or have been accepted to an ABA-accredited (or pending) law school in Texas for the 2022-2023 academic year are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Scholarship recipients will be selected by the Eastern District of Texas Bar Association Board based on the following criteria:
- Born or resided in the Eastern District of Texas (see EDTX Map Below)
- Demonstrated financial need or hardship
- Commitment, qualities and actions towards ethics, civility, and professionalism
- Academic merit or other qualities showing a likelihood of law school success
- Written and/or oral communications skills
- Leadership qualities and community involvement
- Demonstrate meaningful connection(s) to the Eastern District of Texas
Recipients of the Eastern District of Texas Bar Association Scholarship will receive $2,500.00 payable for the fall semester after selection as a recipient. This is a one-year scholarship which may be renewed annually upon application and award.
Application process schedule for academic year 2022-2023: Applications will be accepted from March 10, 2022 to May 10, 2022. Scholarship awards will be announced by May 31, 2022.
Applicants will submit the following documents for consideration:
- Completed Eastern District of Texas Bar Association Scholarship Application Form
- Academic transcripts (law school, undergraduate/graduate school; official transcripts requested but not required)
- Recommendation letter(s) and contact information (phone, email) for up to 3 references
- 1-page essay, double spaced that addresses one or more of the following personal topics:
- What are your long-term goals
- Any qualifications you believe are relevant for your consideration of this scholarship. Ex. Describe relevant research, published articles, club competitions, clinics, community service, job, or internship/externships
- Any issues of financial need that you would like considered
- Any connection(s) to East Texas
- Describe how:
- ethics, civility and professionalism have been been personally and/or professionally impactful
- specific circumstances of financial need or hardship